As a runner one of our key health goals is to stay healthy, avoid illness and infections so we can stick to our training programme and race schedule. Optimal Vitamin C status will support overall health, but in particular a few roles of Vit C, which could support a runner include:
• Act as an anti-oxidant
• Help protect against infections by supporting the immune system
• Supports collagen production which is key for musculoskeletal health
• It is involved in the energy production cycle
• And also supports iron absorption
An Overview of Vitamin C and signs of deficiency
How much Vitamin C do we need?
Food Sources of Vitamin C and how to optimise Vitamin C in your food plan.
How may Vitamin C support a runner?
Vitamin C as an anti-oxidant.
The role of vitamin C and the immune system.
Vitamin C and Collagen production.
Do I need to supplement with Vitamin C? Will it support my running performance?
Can Vitamin C support collagen production and recovery from injuries?
Can Vitamin C supplementation help to alleviate DOMS?
Choosing a Vitamin C supplement – what to consider.
1. Vitamin C is an essential water-soluble nutrient humans can’t produce it or indeed store it in our bodies, so we need to get it from our diet.
2. It’s vital to eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables every day to maximise our food intake of Vitamin C.
3. Optimal Vitamin C status will support the overall health of a runner including acting as an anti-oxidant, supporting the immune system, collagen production, iron absorption and energy production.
4. Muscle strength and function are not influenced by vitamin C supplementation. However, individuals with a poor vitamin C status may benefit most from supplementation and in turn this may support running performance.
5. Runners may benefit from supplementation following an injury or to support recovery when following and intensive training programme (may help with energy and DOMS).
6. Supplementing between 500mg and 2000mg may be supportive and the Tolerable Upper Level is 3000mg per day.
One of our favourite VITAMIN C supplements is from a company called YOUR ZOOKI – their vitamin C is in a small sachet and comes in 2 flavours – Watermelon and Citrus.
ONE Sachet delivers 1000mg of Vitamin C and there’s also some Vitamin E added which we have learned today appears to work well with Vitamin C.
We both use YOUR ZOOKI supplements and really love them …
If you’d like to give YOUR ZOOKI a try use our special discount code- RUNNERSHEALTHHUB20
When added at checkout, this discount code will provide you and your friends and family with 20% off the entire Zooki range, including bundles and subscriptions.
The suggestions we make during this episode are for guidance and
advice only, and are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment.
If you have any concerns regarding your health, please contact
your healthcare professional for advice as soon as possible.
Aileen Smith and Karen Campbell met at as nutrition students (Institute for Optimum Nutrition, London) and became lifelong friends and nutritional buddies! Both have a love of running and a passion for nutrition, delicious food and healthy living.
Together they host RUNNERS HEALTH HUB. A place for like-minded runners who are looking for simple ways to support running performance, energy, endurance, and general great health.
We are excited to be able to share our expertise, experience and short cuts with you. We hope you'll join us again. If you'd like to know more about us and She Runs Eats Performs please check out our TRAILER.
If you're ready to make learn more about how you may introduce easy nutrition into your running and training plan join our Easy Nutrition For Healthy Runners Online Programme for short videos, recipes, downloads and LIVE training and Q&A.
As a THANK YOU to you as one of our valued listeners, we have a special offer for you use COUPON CODE POD to get 33% discount off the full price which brings the price to £199.
If you’d like help from Karen and Aileen to design a personalised sports nutrition plan for your running - please contact them at email@example.com
Aileen and Karen
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Chartable - https://chartable.com/privacy