Nutrition Periodisation for Runners
In this episode we look at Nutrition Periodisation. You may not have heard of it, which is understandable as it is a fairly new concept. Think about your running, do you ever consider YOUR nutrition in relation to your running training calendar? Do you ever think about your food intake and its correlation with the various phases of your training for example pre-race phase or rest and active recovery phase? In this episode we discuss the phases of Nutrition Periodisation and how manipulating your nutrient intake could support YOUR training, resulting in physiological adaptations known to enhance running performance.
Defining Nutrition Periodisation and outlining its various titles. Nutrition Periodisation is interpreted in various ways, however it is outlined here as 4 phases throughout the calendar year. Moving on to suggest what an athlete’s training programme may look like during these 4 phases.
Outlining the other interpretations of Nutrition Periodisation including the physiological adaptations achieved through planned and purposeful manipulation of nutrition as well as exercise. Manipulating nutrition on a daily/weekly or over months/years is also discussed here as an approach to achieving physiological adaptations and enhanced performance.
Moving on to discuss the influence of nutrition periodisation on muscle adaptation with a focus on protein and antioxidants.
Thinking about the performance enhancing effects of nutrition periodization with carbohydrates being the principle macronutrient discussed. Strategic carbohydrate feeding is known to be capable of increasing the production of carbohydrate transporters in the digestive tract, thus increasing the amount of glucose transported into the bloodstream for readily available energy. But low carbohydrate feeding is also thought to enhance performance, this is also considered.
Looking at the 4 phases of nutrition periodization and thinking about WHAT food and nutrition to consider and WHY during each phase.
- Nutrition Periodisation is known by several names and there are various approaches to it. Eg. it may also be known as Periodised nutrition and may be split into 4 x phases throughout the year, or broken down into nutrition periodised “for the work required”.
- Nutrition periodisation essentially is the nutrition and energy needs of an individual in an effort to support their sports training…training and nutrition go hand-in -glove.
- Ultimately Nutrition Periodisation is in place to support adaptations to enhance performance
- Most research focuses on the adaptation and performance effects of manipulating the macronutrients, however remember the micronutrients are important too.
- Remember to consider the practical aspects of nutrition periodization ie. will you have to travel to competition? If so, what can you take with you? What will be available on the course?
- Additionally, practicing with these foods during training is important to reduce the risk of digestive issues during competition/race
- Finally remember, remember the foundations of good sports nutrition begin with an everyday healthy diet and this should run through every phase of training….even during your rest phase!!
The suggestions we make during this episode are for guidance and
advice only, and are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment.
If you have any concerns regarding your health, please contact
your healthcare professional for advice as soon as possible.
Aileen Smith and Karen Campbell met at as nutrition students (Institute for Optimum Nutrition, London) and became lifelong friends and nutritional buddies! Both have a love of running and a passion for nutrition, delicious food and healthy living.
Together they host RUNNERS HEALTH HUB. A place for like-minded runners who are looking for simple ways to support running performance, energy, endurance, and general great health.
We are excited to be able to share our expertise, experience and short cuts with you. We hope you'll join us again. If you'd like to know more about us and She Runs Eats Performs please check out our TRAILER.
If you're ready to make learn more about how you may introduce easy nutrition into your running and training plan join our Easy Nutrition For Healthy Runners Online Programme for short videos, recipes, downloads and LIVE training and Q&A.
As a THANK YOU to you as one of our valued listeners, we have a special offer for you use COUPON CODE POD to get 33% discount off the full price which brings the price to £199.
If you’d like help from Karen and Aileen to design a personalised sports nutrition plan for your running - please contact them at email@example.com
Aileen and Karen
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Chartable - https://chartable.com/privacy